Monday 14 May 2012

Extracts from the first book in the Talon series, TALON, COME FLY WITH ME

Extract of TALON, COME FLY WITH ME
Shocked and alarmed, Matica collapsed into her mum’s arms. Mira guided her to the bench. They sat down. Matica covered her face with her hands.
Mira considered her daughter’s words, then asked, ‘You mean the poachers are on the move again, like last year?’
Matica took her hands off her face. ‘No one else would shoot around here.’
‘Hmm, true. It’s the same time of year as well, I believe. Do you know if Tamo and Tima have an egg again?’ Mira asked seriously and put her hand on her daughter’s skinny shoulder.
‘N-o-o. I didn’t notice they had an egg.’ She wiped her wet cheeks. ‘Is it my fault, then?’
‘No, don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault.’

and

Devastated, Matica paced up and down with her hands behind her back. Making a quick decision, she stopped and said, ‘Mum, I can’t live with not know-ing if the condors are in danger. I have to find out. I’ll go and have a look if I can see them. Remember, I saw the poachers last year. I know what they look like.’
‘It will probably be too late already, don’t you t...hink? They’re there now.’
Matica frowned. ‘Maybe they’re shooting some other animals. Wouldn’t be good, I know. Or < maybe, just maybe they are only having a look.’
‘You wish!’
‘Can’t I have good wishes? I’ll tell the Indians so Dad can follow me to Ramah, or even better, beyond Ramah where we can see what’s going on.’
She ran into the house, grabbed her poncho,

No comments:

Post a Comment